FWIW, the approach I arrived at for smart-proxy plugins:

 - Explain the original developer their options for hosting the plugin
(i.e. within Foreman github organization, and outside of it, and what
each option entails). The former implies that Foreman developers have
a say over technical matters that affect maintenance (for example test
coverage).
 - Should they choose to move their code into the Foreman
organization, ask them to grant a committer access to at least one of
the Foreman core developers, and rights to release gems.
 - Agree with them on commit and review process.

Cheers,
-d