*IF* I understand correctly the original question, the author was trying to
use iPXE *instead* of regular (and now actually legacy) PXELinux on
smart-proxy side.

This is something that I'm looking for as well, but Foreman TFTP
smart-proxy seems to be missing native "ipxe" variant, that would allow for
creation of <tftp_path>/01-<MAC>.ipxe by calling something like this (based
on syntax for smart-proxy TFTP API described in [3]):

curl -k --cacert /var/lib/puppet/ssl/certs/ca.pem --cert
/var/lib/puppet/ssl/certs/`hostname -f`.pem --key
/var/lib/puppet/ssl/private_keys/`hostname -f`.pem  -H
"Accept:application/json" -X POST
https://<foreman-proxy>:8443/tftp/*ipxe*/00:11:22:33:44:55
-d "pxeconfig=blah blah blah"

Something that I'm sure more people interested in these days as with iPXE
as main bootloader (as opposed to chain-booting iPXE from PXELinux 01-<MAC>
described in [1]).

There multiple reasons for that:
- support of more protocols to download config file - HTTP/HTTPS, etc.
- ability to create backward-compatible implementations - iPXE can chain
PXELinux if its own rather extensive script-enabled config file is not
found.
- support for both UEFI and BIOS (both of which obviously understand iPXE
script/config file making this rather attractive alternative to having to
recognize the boot method of the system and create an appropriate config
files as described in [2]

[1] -
http://projects.theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/Fetch_boot_files_via_http_instead_of_TFTP
[2] -
https://github.com/theforeman/rfcs/blob/master/text/0001-PXE-Booting-UEFI.md
[3] - http://projects.theforeman.org/projects/smart-proxy/wiki/API

Is there a reason why Foreman/Smart-proxy only uses iPXE by chaining
through PXElinux and not natively? Is it hard to add at least on
smart-proxy side?

Thanks!