You using the API for this or querying the database?  Querying the database
is the way to insanity . . .

I did this for Satellite 5.x, but haven't looked at it for
Katello/Satellite6 yet.  Not sure if all the queries are in place yet.
 There was a ticket raised for querying the outstanding packages on a host
based on the Errata that are in Library rather than the hosts own
environment.  This would allow you to see outstanding Errata as they come
into Katello/Satellite before they're promoted through your environments.
 Have now been asked to look into this for work on our Satellite 6.2
install, so will share what I can.