Updated checklist:
- host is managed *- yes - OK*
- provision method is "build" and not "image" *- I can't see the 'build
mode' checkbox for the newly created host*
- host has operating system set *- yes (inherited from host group) - OK*
- host has pxe loader flag present (not set to blank or None) *- yes - OK*
- host has one provisioning NIC with valid MAC address *- yes - OK*
- a subnet is associated with the provisioning NIC *- it is - OK*
- the subnet has TFTP feature turned on *- it does - OK*

Other issues with auto-provision:
- hostname doesn't match discovery rule pattern (correct pattern being
visible on host list, but then I click edit and see 'macXXXXXX')
- discovery interface DNS name doesn't match discovery rule pattern
(correct pattern being visible on host list, but then I click
edit->interfaces->edit and see 'macXXXXXX')
- no domain assigned to discovery interface, despite domain attached to
discovery subnet

I have tried to use subnet without domain assigned (no effect).
PXE file for auto-provisioned host does NOT get created, no matter what I
do...
In this state, whole 'auto-provision' brings no value to the table :(