Hello,
do you work for financial institution? We are solving similar problems
as you describe for banking and investment sector. I would like to
share some ideas about our design which should be used in sculptor.
Sorry for long post.

1) Undeletable object: We have objects which are never physically
removed from database. They are only marked as deleted and all
assocations are kept intact. This mean if you delete business object
you should never get it via primary search. However when object is
associated to some other object and this object isn't deleted you will
get even deleted objects. For example you remove Company from your
directory. You should never see it in company list, however all
Invoices which have association to this Company should get this
deleted company as part of Invoice. This have huge impact on data
copying. Normally you should copy many informations from Company to
Invoice when new Invoice is created. In case of undeletable objects,
when address change in Company it's also changed in Invoice (but this
depends on your other design decision - next topic). We implemented
this feature via status (prepared, ready, deleted).

2) Historizable. It's little bit hooked to undeletable objects. You
should have all versions and changes of you object always in database.
Normally it's used for auditing and implementig situation where
historical version of object is required for example Invoice ->
Company relation where Invoice should never be automatically changed
when Company change. This mean Invoice should be associated to
historical version. Part of this is also change to future. You can
create new version of object for future. For example you plan to
rename company for specific date, or make split of shares. Many data
should be prepared for future and don't have to be scheduled for batch
processing at specific date. You can set your current time (to future
or back in time) in your personal profile and see how system data look
at this time. It will be nice to have specific information for every
relation to historizable objects if relation is pointing to ACTUAL
version or HISTORICAL version which was ACTUAL at time of creation.
And concept which we don't have now but we found it useful is 'minor
edit'. For example you would like to change address of historical
version of company because here is mistype which will rewrite specific
version and all invoices pointing to this version will get updated
however not to actual version of Company which now point to absolutely
new business address. Now we are doing it by direct database updates.
Question is how to present it for user on GUI. Handling of such
complex thing also require clever users.

Steffen you mentioned EJBs in list of your stuff. Does it mean you
have JPA implementation ready or is it only about Session Beans?
Steffen can you please describe shortly (unlike me ;-) ) also your
design of previous features?

Best regards

Pavel