Le 17/09/2022 à 19:03, Thomas Koenig via Fortran a écrit :

Hi Mikael,

This adds support for clobbering of partial variable references, when
they are passed as actual argument and the associated dummy has the
INTENT(OUT) attribute.
Support includes array elements, derived type component references,
and complex real or imaginary parts.

This is done by removing the check for lack of subreferences, which is
basically a revert of r9-4911-gbd810d637041dba49a5aca3d085504575374ac6f.
This removal allows more expressions than just array elements,
components and complex parts, but the other expressions are excluded by
other conditions: substrings are excluded by the check on expression
type (CHARACTER is excluded), KIND and LEN references are rejected by
the compiler as not valid in a variable definition context.

The check for scalarness is also updated as it was only valid when there
was no subreference.

First, thanks a lot for digging into this subject. I have looked through
the patch series, and it looks very good so far.

I have a concern about this part, though.  My understanding at the
time was that it is not possible to clobber an individual array
element, but that this clobbers anything off the pointer that this
is based on.

Well, we need the middle-end guys to give a definitive answer on this topic, but I think it would be a very penalizing limitation if that was the case. I have assumed that the clobber spanned the value it was applied on, neither more nor less, so just the array element in case of array elements.

So,

   integer, dimension(3) :: a

   a(1) = 1
   a(3) = 3
   call foo(a(1))

would also invalidate the store to a(3).  Is my understanding correct?

I think it was the case before patch 2 in in the series, because the clobber was applied to the symbol decl, so in the case of the expression A(1), it was applied to A which is the full array. After patch 2, the clobber is applied to the expression A(1), so the element alone.

If so, I think this we cannot revert that patch (which was introduced
because of a regression).

The testcase from the patch was not specifically checking lack of side-effect clobbers, so I have double-checked with the following testcase, which should lift your concerns. I propose to keep the patch with the testcase added to it. What do you think?

Mikael

! { dg-do run }
! { dg-additional-options "-fno-inline -fno-ipa-modref -fdump-tree-optimized -fdump-tree-original" }
!
! PR fortran/41453
! Check that the INTENT(OUT) attribute causes one clobber to be emitted
! for the array element passed as argument in the *.original dump, and the
! associated initialization constant to be optimized away in the *.optimized
! dump, whereas the other initialization constants are not optimized away.

module x
implicit none
contains
  subroutine foo(a)
    integer, intent(out) :: a
    a = 42
  end subroutine foo
end module x

program main
  use x
  implicit none
  integer :: ac(3)

  ac(1) = 123
  ac(2) = 456
  ac(3) = 789
  call foo(ac(2))
  if (any(ac /= [123, 42, 789])) stop 1

end program main

! { dg-final { scan-tree-dump-times "CLOBBER" 1 "original" } }
! { dg-final { scan-tree-dump "ac\\\[1\\\] = {CLOBBER};" "original" } }
! { dg-final { scan-tree-dump     "123" "original" } }
! { dg-final { scan-tree-dump     "123" "optimized" } }
! { dg-final { scan-tree-dump     "456" "original" } }
! { dg-final { scan-tree-dump-not "456" "optimized" { target __OPTIMIZE__ } } }
! { dg-final { scan-tree-dump     "789" "original" } }
! { dg-final { scan-tree-dump     "789" "optimized" } }