Hi Leigh,

> On 22 Jul 2023, at 20:05, Leigh House <ha...@newmexico.com> wrote:
>

> Thanks for your fast reply!
>
> My Mac is an intel iMac from 2019.

That should be fine with “upstream” sources, should you decide to build from
source (but that should not be necessary, there are several places providing
gfortran for mac).

> I didn’t keep detailed notes about where I got the compiler package, though
> I’ve often gone to hpc.sourceforge.net in the past, under “Computation
> Tools”. I suspect that is where I got my current compiler from.
>
> And I didn’t keep notes about which .dylib file I had to find and copy into
> /usr/local/lib, though from a colleague’s experience it may have been
> libgfortran.5.dylib.

I checked the version(s) for which the initialization bug is fixed:

GCC-10.4
GCC-11.3 <<- so you are almost certainly seeing it with 11.2.
GCC-12.1
GCC-13.1
(and current development ’trunk’).

This was a very unusual case - we try to be backward compatible as much as
possible, but the change was out of our hands.

So, I’d recommend that you see if your “usual source” has an update - or,
alternately, go to one of the ‘OSS distributions’ like Homebrew.

HTH,
Iain