Everyone have talked about deploying OSS in a higher level, the
ministry and the government.

Lets talk about its implementation at somewhat lower level, the
education institutions.

The highersecondary school education teaches M$ Word, Excel and it
seems M$ Access is in the course curriculum. Now yes we do have their
alternative in the OSS world, but those aren't in the curriculum the
sole reason because, everyone's customed to pirated softwares. And yes
new policies can be made and courses can be changed. But kids grow up
in M$ world, they want to play WOW, Counterstrike, FIFA and other
games, kids will always be kids unless we tell them not to be(duh).
Not everyone here in Nepal have broadband and linux configuration and
dialups, i'll leave it to that.

But we have OpenOffice running in Windows, thats OSS and there is the
mighty firefox, but its far few people who take notice of their
existance. M$ apps are the standards for everyday people. Of the
hundreds of PC selling shops, it will need a microscope to find one
selling desktops filled with OSS softwares. And talking about the
ministries, imo they are switching to save their faces, if only they
didn't have to i wonder if they really have waken up to the major
benefits of the OSS world.

> Many american states have already deployed Linux and other OSS softwares at
> various state level. Their defence industry has been using
> Unix-like OS for centuries. European countries like Deutchland, Russia and
> Germany are going FOSS already. Hospital in Ireland already
> saved $13 million dollars using FOSS. Why would Nepal have to lag behind?

European countries have Aeroplane manufacturing plans, why nepal is
lagging behind. Russia and Germany are european giants, we tiny
miniscule country with a very small economy. Not everything they've
done is possible there.