It is really painful to search and then install all those drivers in Windows
but fortunately almost all hardware makers provide drivers alongside the
product and the users don't think of it as a problem. Also, users tend to
treat their driver CDs as prized possessions and be fascinated by the enigma
that they make out of this all.

On the other hand, the problem of some proprietary hardwares can really be
very sad for people wanting to use GNU/Linux. Many of such drivers are now
available thanks partly to the Linux Drivers project (
http://www.linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/bin/view). The list of drivers not
supported is also maintained here: (
http://linuxdriverproject.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DriversNeeded)

While promoting free softwares, we should also make it a point so promote
hardwares that support free software. The subject of "network neutrality"
got so advertised that it was debated in the recent US presidential
elections. The issue of "platform neutrality" needs equal backing because
discrimination of users on the basis of the hardware and OS they use is
equally bad. Though there seems no obvious solutions of the problems
mentioned in the thread, may be we can start by stressing on the need to buy
hardwares that are platform neutral :)

Just my $0.02

Bibek