Thanks for the response Bob. Well, I'm definately not much of a DB
person, so I had to google this and look online but this is what I'm
using based on a couple of results from my search. Since I'm not much
of a DB person, I usually write notes about what I did for future.
Here are my notes:

Login:
sudo -u postgres psql

Display DBs:
============
[r...@san-psip ~]# sudo -u postgres psql
could not change directory to "/root"
Welcome to psql 8.1.18, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

Listings of DBs:
================
postgres=# \l
        List of databases
   Name    |  Owner   | Encoding
-----------+----------+-----------
 fossology | fossy    | SQL_ASCII
 postgres  | postgres | UTF8
 template0 | postgres | UTF8
 template1 | postgres | UTF8
(4 rows)

View DB size for fossology:
===========================
postgres=# SELECT pg_database_size('fossology');
 pg_database_size
------------------
       2710417276
(1 row)

View DB size for fossology (human-readable):
postgres=# SELECT pg_size_pretty(pg_database_size('fossology'));
 pg_size_pretty
----------------
 2585 MB
(1 row)

However, you're right in what you use is displaying 0 when I run the query:
r...@san-psip ~]# sudo -u postgres psql -d fossology
could not change directory to "/root"
Welcome to psql 8.1.18, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

fossology=# SELECT SUM(relpages) AS val FROM pg_class INNER JOIN
pg_stat_all_tables ON pg_stat_all_tables.relname = pg_class.relname
WHERE schemaname='public';
 val
-----
   0
(1 row)

Do you know of a way I can fix/correct this because although the query
fossology is using I'm guessing my DB is now zero.

Any suggestions?

-Regards,
Gibran