Bob Gobeille recently posted a series of questions on how FOSSology compares to
Black Duck. Bob called me to let me know the questions were posted, told me
that he often gets these questions and wanted to put some info online, and that
he wanted Black Duck's perspective.  I want to thank Bob for reaching out.

While Black Duck has not been very involved with FOSSology, I do want to point
out that Black Duck is a member of both Linux Foundation and FOSSbazaar, and
that we (actually Phil Odence) co-chair the FOSSBazaar SPDX (Software Package
Data Exchange)Working Group which is defining a standard way for companies to
share license and copyright information about software packages they exchange.

I'll list Bob's questions with our perspective following each one. But first,
and at a high level, FOSSology and Black Duck by and large don't compete. There
is some overlap in functionality but from our perspective the differences are
significant as the Black Duck Suite is a complete OSS management/automation
solution.

1) Duck Black Duck is proprietary and expensive, FOSSology is open source (GPL)
and free.

Black Duck is a commercial product sold on an annual subscription basis under a
commercial license.  It's straightforward to compare licensing between
FOSSology and Black Duck but simple comparisons on functionality and features
aren't as easy.  Black Duck sells a Suite of products for open source
compliance and management.  The design center for Black Duck's Suite is to
enable multi-source development with open source across the application life
cycle. We automate and 'design in' compliance in a way that can't be achieved
manually or with other tools.  And the part of the Suite that overlaps with
FOSSology employs a fundamentally different technology and approach to
discovering open source code and the associated license(s), i.e., source code
pattern matching, while it also supports string search.

2) With Black Duck you get access to their large database of software
information.  With FOSSology, you have to build your own.

Black Duck maintains a KnowledgeBase of open source project information from
over 4,600 sites covering 1,900 licenses. It is used both to automate and
ensure legal compliance but also as a productivity tool in the front-end of the
development process when developers are searching for open source they can use
to offset having to write new code. In addition to component information, we
maintain a database of licenses and license terms that is used in the Suite to
automatically identify conflicts when incompatible licenses are used in
combination.  We also track all known security vulnerabilities associated with
open source components that we provide as additional information to aid
developers in selecting and maintaining their code.

3) Black Duck has some great resources for helping you with your issues.
FOSSology is a software project, no services.  We do try to help as much as
possible on IRC/email but this is hardly the service you would expect from a
commercial company.

Many customers are quite happy with the support they receive from open source
communities and FOSSology is in that camp.  Black Duck provides various levels
of technical support. Many of our customers use the Black Duck Suite in mission
critical applications and require direct technical support, sometimes including
24X7.

In addition to technical support services, Black Duck offers a range of
professional services that span the gamut of needs from helping create an open
source policy, to assessing an organization's capabilities and readiness, to
integrating a company's open source policy with an associated workflow and
approval process, to implementing the Suite with existing development tools and
business processes.

4) FOSSology scans every file looking for licenses.  This degree of license
analysis is not in the Black Duck database.  Note: My information on this may
be out of date.  If you know this to be correct or incorrect, please reply.

As mentioned earlier, while we support string search, Black Duck additionally
employs a fundamentally different technology and approach to discovering open
source code and the associated licenses.  Black Duck does scan every file but
is primarily looking for source code matches.  If license text is missing, code
pattern matching will still identify the open source code.

A feature of Black Duck's that many customers value is the ability to
automatically produce a software Bill of Materials (BoM) for each
application/project, showing what FOSS components are in use with their
associated licenses.  The BoM is also useful to developers for knowing when new
component versions are released, if a security vulnerability exists and in what
component it's used, etc.