Hi Raino,
I apologize for taking so long to get back to you.  As usual you ask excellent
questions.
See below

On Jul 1, 2010, at 4:25 AM, <raino.lintula...@elektrobit.com>
<raino.lintula...@elektrobit.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I noticed that nomos does not recognize The Zend Engine License
> (www.zend.com/license/2_00.txt). The actual license file was
> reported as BSD-style by nomos and the code referring to the license
> as Misc-copyright.

Thanks.  I'm making a list of licenses to add: Zend, Haktivismo

> Then I tried to add a new license via License Admin and got
> following error messages (fossology ver.1.1.1~3296):
>
> Warning: pg_query() [function.pg-query]: Query failed: ERROR: syntax
<snip>
I fixed this right after receiving your email.

Thanks for bringing up that there are no docs on License Admin and its purpose
is not intuitive.  Mark has created a list of things that need to be updated on
fossology.org.  I've added this to the list.
http://fossology.org/1.2.0_wiki_cleanup_list.

The short answer about License Admin is to just ignore it.  It doesn't add
licenses to the license scanner.  It's for reference only.

Here is a longer answer.  License Admin was created for two reasons: 1) we were
reconciling the license naming between the old bsam license scanner and the new
nomos scanner.  Mary was doing this reconciliation, so that's why there is a
field called "Mary done".   And 2) we wanted an easy way to add licenses for
our future sentence based license scanner.

I left it in the release because it's a good way to look up licenses.  If you
want to see a license and get the url where it was published, then License
Admin is an easy way to do it.  Of course you can add licenses, but they are
only for your own reference.  They are not used by any fossology scanner,
except that when nomos finds a license that is not in that list of license, it
adds the name of the license.  It can only add the name because nomos uses
license signatures not reference licenses.

In the future, I would like to use License admin to enter license signatures
for nomos (currently you have to edit source code).

<snip>
> What is the easiest way to rerun nomos? With bsam there was a
> rerun option but not with nomos. Deleting nomos job is not enough
> and deleting the upload and then reloading is not the fastest
> way to do it.

I suspect you want to rerun nomos because you added licenses in license admin.
Is that right?  If so then there are two parts to your question, 1) how do you
add a nomos license and 2) how do you rerun nomos.   Adding a license to nomos
is not as straightforward as one would like.  You have to get the agent source,
create the new signature in the file STRINGS.in, add code to use that signature
in parse.c and recompile.  Testing the new license can be done manually by
running nomos from the command line.  If determining a signature, editing a
file, modifying C code sounds easy to you then write me back and I'll explain
why it can be harder than it sounds.  I'd recommend you send me the license you
want added and I'll make the changes for you.  It wasn't our intention to make
this difficult.  If you want to know why it is like it is, let me know.

There seem to be two outcomes people want when they rerun nomos (or any agent).
 1) rescan every upload with the new licenses or 2) rescan but keep the old
results as well.  The latter is so that the contents of any report url you may
have sent to someone will not change.  This also allows one to compare the new
license results with the old since both are in the database.
Currently you have to do these manually.  To wipe out all the nomos results you
need to empty the database tables nomos_ars and license_file.  The sql to do
this is "delete from nomos_ars; delete from license_file;"  or you can use
something like pgadmin3 or phppgadmin and empty the tables.  After this use
Jobs > Queue > By Upload and "reset" the nomos job.  If you don't want to do a
new scan without throwing away all the old results, you need to add a new nomos
record to the agent table.  The data is keyed by the nomos agent so the
database will be able to keep separate the new and the old scans.  After this,
go into Jobs > Queue > By Upload and "delete" (not reset) the nomos job.  Then
click on Jobs > Agents and schedule a new nomos scan.

> Further, what is the reason that agent processes seem to be active
> several
> minutes after Jobs->Queue->Summary has shown that agent has completed
> the job?

The scheduler does this by design.  Agent processes sit there until the
scheduler gives them data to work on.  After they finish a job the scheduler
keeps them around for a while in case another job that needs that agent will be
ready to run soon.  If they aren't needed after several minutes the scheduler
will kill them.

Bob Gobeille
b...@fossology.org