On Wed, 2020-04-01 at 18:52 +0000, Michael C. Jaeger wrote:
Hi,

Please go ahead, sound good in general, just allow me to understand the cases
here

* either we add a 127.0.0.1 / snakeoil certificate and then there will be an
error message in the browser that hostname does not match the cert when
accessing the fossology over the network (server setup)

- Yes. With a 127.0.0.1 we will get a warning in the browser when accessing it
over the network.

* or we try to determine the hostname but then there will be the same error
when accessing the localhost?

- I cannot say for sure. There may be a clever way to do this. For example, it
may be possible to edit an install script with the hostname and generate the
self-signed cert. But, and this is kind of a big but, it will still throw a
warning.

How about an optional step in the install as a script?

This is likely the best approach. This way it can be an argument like
"--self-signed-cert" or "--install-cert" to the script that the end user has to
consciously add on. This way you'd likely have the flexibility to people to
reuse their existing certificates, choose a self-signed cert, or simply ignore
it entirely if they don't care.

Thanks for your replies, it helps me know where my patches are likely to land
and prioritizes my contributions.

Cheers,

Jeremiah

Kind regards, Michael