On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Bence Damokos <bdamo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 7:42 PM, geni <geni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> In practice pulling up the wikipedia article on "horse" in your
>> language will cover most cases. There is a fairly good argument to be
>> made that wikipedia is common's best search engine.
>>

>> I would consider this state as a poor reflection on Commons' accessibility.
> Especially as Google image search (imho, the likeliest avenue of searching
> for images) gives 130 000 pictures of horses on Commons if searched in
> English, zero if searched in Estonian ("hobu"), and while it gives 160 000
> results for a Hungarian search ("ló") on the first page only one of it is an
> image that resembles a horse.

Here's a thought: Enter "hobu" into translate.google.com, leave
"source language" on automatic and target on "English", and it will
happily translate it into "horse". Could we offer a "translation" link
in search? As in, "translate my query into English and try again"? I'm
sure we can come to an arrangement with Google (or someone else).

Magnus