On 22 July 2010 16:32, R M Harris <rmhar...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> May I just reply to thank Excirial for the excellent suggestions
> re:formatting contained in his thoughtful reply (I'll look them over
> carefully) and just to note a couple of things. I'm well aware of the
> long-standing debates on these issues in the past, and I respect the fatigue
> with which many might approach yet another discussion of the question. As
> well, my point in raising the question of Controversial issues in English
> Wikipedia was not to misrepresent its status, but just to note that this form
> of categorization of content has been contemplated to be useful in some parts
> of the Wikimedia universe, a universe, which, while varied, does share
> certain common principles. And thanks for reminding me of the varied
> complexity of semi-autonomous principalities with the Wikimedia family.

I may also note that it will be absolutely impossible for you not to
be called a Nazi or worse over this, *no matter what you say or do*.
I'd be hard put to come up with a more poisoned chalice ...

Furthermore, whatever you say will be taken as a justification to do
whatever the person wanted to be done already. (e.g. if a report says
"the best thing to do is to put a Goatse in the site notice" someone
*will* say "and that is why we must behead anyone putting up a picture
of Muhammad.")

I don't envy your task in any way whatsoever. You have my sympathy :-)

- d.