GT fails. At least for Japanese, it sucks. And that is why I don't
support it. GT may fit to SVO languages, but for SOV languages, it is
nothing but a crap.

Imagine to fix a 4000 words of documents whose all lines are sort of
"all your base is belong to us". It's not a simple thing as you
imagine - "spelling and punctuation". I admit it has been improved
(now Free Tibet from English to Japanese is "Furi Tibetto", not former
"muryo tibetto" (Tibet for gratis) in two years ago - but craps are
still craps and I don't want to spend my hours for the for-profit
giant.

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Mark Williamson <node...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Shiju Alex <shijualexonl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>   1. Ban the project of Google as done by the Bengali wiki community (Bad
>>   solution, and I am personally against this solution)
>>   2. Ask Google to engage wiki community (As happened in the case of Tamil)
>>   to find out a working solution. But if there is no active wiki community
>>   what Google can do.  But does this mean that Google can continue with the
>>   project as they want? (Very difficult solution if there is no active wiki
>>   community)
>>   3. Find some other solution. For example, Is it possible to upload the
>>   translated articles in a separate name space, for example, Google: Let the
>>   community decides what needs to be taken to the main/article namespace.
>>   4. .........
>>
>> If some solution is not found soon, Google's effort is going to create
>> problem in many language wikipedias. The worst result of this effort would
>> be the rift between the wiki community and the Google translators (speakers
>> of the same language) :(
>>
>> Shiju
>
> Shiju,
>
> I think you have made some great suggestions here. I'd like to add a
> couple of my own:
>
> 1) Fix some of the formatting errors with GTTK. Would this really be
> so difficult? It seems to me that the breaking of links is a bug that
> needs fixing by Google.
> 2) Implement spelling and punctuation check automatically within GTTK
> before posting of the articles.
> 3) Have GTTK automatically remove broken templates and images, or
> require users to translate any templates before a page may be posted.
> 4) Include a list of most needed articles for people to create, rather
> than random articles that will be of little use to local readers. Some
> articles, such as those on local topics, have the added benefit of
> encouraging more edits and community participation since they tend to
> generate more interest from speakers of a language in my experience.
>
> 3 of these are things for Google to work on, one is something for us
> to work on. I think this is a potentially valuable resource, the
> problem is channeling the efforts and energies of these well-meaning
> people in the right direction so that local Wikipedias don't end up
> full of low-quality, unreadable articles with little hope for
> improvement. I'm curious to hear your thoughts.
>
> -m.

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)