> Women do represent a pretty significant portion of the general public, no?
> I think for men by men probably doesn't meet the "general public" qualifier
> there.

"Standalone OPW" is different from "from men by men", I'm afraid I don't
understand your argument here?

A problem I see in the current debate is that we all argue quite
subjectively, and have no metrics for quantifying OPW's potential positive
impact on the GNOME project. We do on the other had have financial and
operational metrics that suggest that OPW in recent times had had a less
positive impact.

To me, the problem looks indeed clear, and can be stated that way:

If outreach is considered to be an end goal of the GNOME project, then it
should be included in the mission statement.

If on the other hand we consider it to only be a tool to serve GNOME's
mission, we should quantify together as best as we can its impact on the
project, and if it is found to be detrimental, stop managing it ourselves.
People can then step up to the challenge of creating a foundation with
outreach as a mission statement.

I personally think the GNOME foundation's main role should be to ensure its
current mission statement, and outreach should only be a tool, not the end
goal.

With respects to metrics, I am sure we can find ways to quantify engagement
in terms of commit percentages per gender in time for example (I know the
problem here lies in finding out the gender for a given commit author, just
an idea).