On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 4:26 AM, Richard Stallman <r...@gnu.org> wrote:

>   > Now, to the subject of whether GNOME should or should not link to
> non-free
>   > websites
>
> The expression "nonfree website" is one we do not use, because it is
> not clear what that would mean.  Web sites raise various kinds of
> ethical issues.
>
> The issue here is very specific: a web site requires visitors to run
> nonfree software in order to use the site to do the job in question
> (in this case, to donate).
>
> If a web site runs nonfree software internally, that doesn't affect
> the site's visitors, so we have no reason to concern ourselves with that.

Whist I don't disagree with what you are saying. There are only so many
hours in the day. I can't reasonably drop in replace "non-free websites"
with all that text or I would never get to the points I am trying to make
about it.

As I suggested earlier on this point, unless someone contradicts your
definition (which I don't believe anyone has done, yet), I am acting on the
assumption that people reading this thread have already seen what we are
talking about and that we have defined what we mean already:

For us to collectively be able to answer the question of whether GNOME
> should be endorsing links to non-free sites, we first need to be able to
> answer a couple of relevant questions.

1. In what situations can any published link on GNOME's servers be
> representative of the GNOME Foundation (i.e. how are we defining GNOME as a
> trademark/brand) such that that link could be perceived as being an
> endorsement/advertisement.
> 2. What is a link to a non-free site (I believe Richard might have gone
> some way to covering that already, though there might yet be some debate to
> be had, yet)

Magdalen