For what it's worth, I'm serving multiple subnets too on my SI GTs,
currently with 6 server subnets and 1 management subnet (which wins
the default route). My requirements are somewhat simpler, though,
than the cases below. I treat the SI as a multihomed host, so with
the router code running and "route-only" configured per interface (or
globally, but a bug with that is fixed only very recently) each
physical interface is simply an L3 port on a different subnet. I
require DSR for all servers using this SI, so all of the symmetry from
a subnet firewall/router perspective is maintained.
dp
On Dec 10, 2009, at 1:19 PM, Jack Stewart wrote:
Hi Lazuardi,
I'm running the routing code. To the best of my knowledge, route-
maps apply only to the routing code.
route-maps allow you to set the gateway by source address,
destination address, or port #. Static routes allow you to set
gateway by destination. The VIP is the source address of the
outgoing traffic. So in the example below, gateway for a VIP is
based on its address (and not the destination client). This was a
really hard concept for me to wrap my head around.
It isn't clear to me that your case is the same. My setup is very
atypical. I had a lot of trouble debugging it (traffic would leave
the client but never come back to it). You might be able to get at
it by looking at the interface traffic of the gateways.
Let me know the solution you come up with, I'm curious.
---Jack
Lazuardi Nasution wrote:
Hi Jack,
I think this solution is for Switch Code since with Router Code I can
have many Management IP even with different subnets. The default
gateway can be specified statically on the routing table or by using
routing protocol from the routers.
Best regards,
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 2:25 AM, Jack Stewart
<[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Lazuardi,
I ran into similar issues - this is what ultimately work in my
environment.
It may not be the same but hopefully there are some takeaways.
Please let me
know how much of this makes sense - that feedback will be helpful
with my
documentation.
First, DNS is special and the following is generic.
You can only have one management IP and one default route. The
management IP
should live on the same subnet that has the default route. The
first public
subnet with the management IP & default route (Pub_Subnet_1) was
not a
problem.
All of my real servers are on a different private subnet that the
two public
subnets and they all have the Load Balancer defined as their default
gateway.
To get subnet 2 (pub_subnet_2), I needed to define a router
interface for
that subnetwork (ve2) and policy routing/route-maps. The route-
maps are for
making sure that the return traffic goes out via the same gateway
that it
came in for non directly attached subnets. The way the mapping
works for me
in the configuration is:
!
ip access-list extended match_pub_subnet_2
permit ip match_pubsub2/24 any
!
route-map more_default_routes permit 10
match ip address match_subnet_2
set ip next-hop subnet_2_gateway
!
ip policy prefer-direct-route
ip policy route-map more_default_routes
In route-maps, the 'permit #' is just the precedence order. You
can add
additional entries to a route-map. Route-maps are processed before
static
routes.
Lastly, I defined an outside NAT policy on Public_Subnet_1 for
traffic
originating private subnet traffic (i.e. directly attached
servers). I'm not
100% sure this is a requirement but it helps with traceroute, etc.
In my case it was necessary to add VRRP but that is because I've
more than
one box and it isn't clear you need that.
Once this was done, everything worked nicely from outside to inside.
This is a global static approach. Most people seem to route-maps
to filter
routing protocols, but I'm not allowed to exchange LB routing
protocols with
our routers by policy.
For VIPs and real servers on the same private subnet, I found that
either
DSR or source-nat with ACL's works well. If you are using DSR with
Linux (it
seems to apply to other 2.6 kernels), you'll probably want to look
at the
brocade wiki).
With DNS, source-nat with ACL's is probably the simplest and
easier way to
go.
---Jack
Lazuardi Nasution wrote:
Hi Jack,
Yes, there is different router per subnet and I have done the
static
routing for that. VIP1 is in the same subnet with Management IP and
the Router1 is connected to eth1, so I just simply put Management
IP
on eth1. Since Router2 is connected to eth2, should I do
something on
eth2, ex. put another management IP on the eth2 which is in the
same
subnet with VIP2 ? The other ethernet ports are for Real Server
so I
have give ve1 for those ports.
There is another weird problem. I have made DNS binding from VIP1
and
RE1 and I have put ve1 IP in the same subnet with RE1. RE1 default
gateway is ve1 IP. I can query the DNS through VIP1 but RE1
cannot do
traceroute to the Internet, stuck on the ServerIron. What's happen
here ?
Best regards,
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 3:41 AM, Jack Stewart
<[email protected]>
wrote:
Hi Lazuardi,
Yeah! A question that might be up my alley. I've done this
however I need
some more details.
Do these VIPs need different "static" default gateways on a per
subnet
basis? It's possible with the routing code and I can send out
the details
if
you are interested.
Otherwise the main trick with subnet A to subnet B traffic is to
make
sure
that the return traffic goes though the load balancer. The
client &
server
need to see the Load Balancer as the gateway between subnet A &
subnet B.
DSR and source NAT are also options.
So more details, please. Depending on what you need to do it
might help
knock out some of my documentation.
---Jack
Lazuardi Nasution wrote:
Hi,
Is it possible to have multiple VIPs with different Subnets on
ServerIron 4G or ServerIron ADX1000 ? How can I do that ? I'm
using
router code of firmware.
Best regards,
_______________________________________________
foundry-nsp mailing list
[email protected]
http://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/foundry-nsp
_______________________________________________
foundry-nsp mailing list
[email protected]
http://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/foundry-nsp