        From:   Corey R Clingo [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent:   Wednesday, August 22, 2001 6:35 PM
        To:     Foxboro DCS Mail List
        Subject:        Getting OPC data into the I/A

        Awhile back I inquired about methods of getting OPC data into an I/A
system.  I
        got several good responses (thanks) and am investigating further.
We would
        probably go the Matrikon route, since Foxboro's OPC gateway software
apparently
        isn't released yet.

        So now I'm looking at how exactly I'm going to represent this data
in the I/A
        system.  I don't want to poke those values into another CP, as that
seems a
        waste of nodebus bandwidth and processing power on that CP.  I'd
like to use our
        AW itself as a "virtual CP", if that's possible (this is not
critical data).  I
        suppose another option is getting a Modbus integrator and hooking it
to the OPC
        PC, using OPC-to-Modbus-slave gateway software rather than
OPC-to-I/A gateway
        software, but bandwidth could be limited by the serial link.  Any
other options?

        If anyone has done this, I'd greatly appreciate some war stories.
IIRC, someone
        in Europe had a similar setup using the Matrikon software.  If it's
long and
        involved, feel free to reply off-list.

        TIA,

        Corey Clingo
        Sr. Engineer
        BASF Corporation

        This list is neither sponsored nor endorsed by the Foxboro Company.
All
        postings from this list are the work of list subscribers and no
warranty
        is made or implied as to the accuracy of any information
disseminated
        through this medium. By subscribing to this list you agree to hold
the
        list sponsor(s) blameless for any and all mishaps which might occur
due to
        your application of information received from this mailing list.

        To be removed from this list, send mail to
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        with "unsubscribe foxboro" in the Subject. Or, send any mail to
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]