I've done that by utilising BEA messageQ for Solaris (about $US1250 I think).
To give you a bit of a feel of the possibilities, the two Foxboro systems I've
connected up like this are from two different companies!! talking across the
Internet.
One produces waste gasses from iron/steel making, the other is an electricity
company utilising the waste gasses and they both need to know, very obviously,
process information from each other.
As far as the operators is concerned, the other plant is just visual on one of
their graphics.

On both systems I've created a compound for sending and a compound for
receiving data.
On both hosts I have software running that read/writes to those compounds and,
via BEA messageQ, send/receives the data to the other host.
The data transfer timer is set at 15 seconds.
One host is more or less master as far as keeping the data going on time but
the other host has a mechanism to send its data after a timeout and then will
take charge of the time keeping.
The software starts straight from host boot utilising "/usr/fox/user_apps.dat".
All relatively simple and very transparent.

Cheers,
Frits Schouten.
BHP-NZSteel.