If I were to make a top ten list of questions, this would be near the top.
Let me know if you need more details.

AJ

Q. How can I connect my two I/A Series systems over a TCP/IP network?

This is a long a complicated topic.

The original system to system connection was the INI-15. The INI-15 provided
a point to point connection between two systems using an X.25 link. While it
could theoretically support one INI-15 talking to as many as 8 other
INI-15s, the I/A Series equipment list did not include the required device,
an X.25 PAD, packet assembler/disassembler.

The INI-15 software allowed the local device to access remote C:B.Ps as if
they were local. An X.25 link was established in the remote INI-15 to open
the OM connections on the remote side. When the data became available to the
remote INI-15, it was transferred back to the local INI-15 and passed to the
clients that requested it.

It was pretty easy to setup and very easy to use. Though the local station
required a two letter prefix on the remote stations compound name. This
meant that the remote station needed to limit its compound names to 10
characters.

The INI-15 software was never ported to the DI-30 hardware and the product
is basically not sold anymore.

More current options include:

a) An AW70 running a DDE I/O Gate and using DataLink as the DDE server
b) The Ethernet Integration Package from the Power Group in FoxMass
c) API DBM from Foxboro Canada
d) Packages like AIM*AT, PI, or IP.21 which can read the data in one box and
write it to another
e) Roll your own

In the NT I/O Gate approach, the NT box serves as a TCP/IP Device Integrator
with simpler configuration. AIM*DataLink (Data For Windows) is used as the
DDE server, but the communications over the network is netFoxAPI. The AW70s,
when used as Device Integrators, are supported on an otherwise Solaris only
network. Put the I/O Gate in an AW70 at each end if you want two-way data
transfer. The disadvantage is the configuration work required to maintain
the connection.

The Ethernet Interface Software is an all TCP/IP solution for Solaris only.
The biggest advantage is that configuration is pretty easy. It's biggest
weaknesses are: no redundancy and alarm generation requires either
Application Objects with Alarming or writing the values into a control
block.

I'm not very familiar with API DBM, but I understand that it has this
functionality.

Historian packages generally include a calcualation engine that can write
process data. I've seen a number of customers use PI in this manner, i.e.,
collect data from one node and write it to SVs in another.

Of course, custom programming would allow you to do anything (almost).