John,

Thank you for taking the time to provide the information concerning Allen
Bradley PLCs.  I thought it was very informative.

As of last week, my group will start to take on our facility's AB PLC
responsibilities in addition to our current Foxboro I/A support.  I know little
about the Allen Bradley product so I have a steep learning curve ahead of me.
My goals are to some how network the PLCs together for information transfer and
remote support purposes, and to implement some software that makes the PLC
programming much easier (than the relay logic look) to implement and documents
the logic for non-experts to easily follow.  I would appreciate any tips that
you and others can provide to me.

I do not even know what Allen Bradley product we have yet, but I think some of
them are SLC150, SLC5/04, PLC5/11, PLC5/20, and a Panel View (??) station.  The
PLCs are scattered around the facility on process equipment that is controlled
various independent Foxboro systems and few, if any of them, are currently
networked together.  We will want some of the Foxboro systems to somehow get
information from PLCs that are installed in their area, but we also want to be
able to access all of the PLCs from common designated locations (say designated
Office PCs with the correct security).  One of the reasons to link the PLCs to
the Foxboro systems will be to provide PLC trip alarms, historization of the
contact states in PI, and a better means for the process operators and engineers
to somehow view the states of the PLC logic.

>From reading the AB emails, it sounds like some of our future directions should
be:

1.  Work towards installing AB PLCs with an ethernet interface.

2.  Use the Foxboro Micro I/A or an AW to provide desired interfaces to Foxboro
systems.  We do not need PLC redundancy.

Some of my questions are:

1.  What is the best way to provide process operators and engineers a view of
what is happening in the PLC in an easy to understand manner with minimal
upkeep.

2.  We would like to implement some software that makes Allen Bradley PLC
programming as easy as possible and also that provides logic documentation that
is very easy for non relay logic experts to follow.  Any suggestions?

3.  The purpose of most of our PLCs is for external shutdowns (SIS).  Will
Control Logix provide any real benefit?  Is Control Logix considered to be
robust enough for SIS, or should it be used in conjunction with the PLCs?

4.  If we network our PLCs together in some manner, will it keep us from also
using Micro I/A or an AW to somehow interface designated PLCs to designated
Foxboro systems?

5.  Besides the purchase of the AW, what all do we need to purchase to use an AW
for the interface?  Does it matter whether we use a Unix or NT AW?

Regards,

Neil Martin
Huntsman Petrochemical