Alex,

I think the threads concerning NT started when someone picked up on an ARC
note that seemed to be saying Foxboro was migrating towards a new
architecture - essentially Wonderware on I/A NT.  I wonder if some one in
Foxboro Marketing could clarify the issue concerning the future directions
of Foxboro I/A on Unix?

                    "Johnson, Alex (Foxboro)"

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>               To:     Foxboro DCS Mail List

                    Sent by:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        cc:

                    oject.org>                           Subject:     RE: PLC Question

                    09/18/01 02:48 PM

                    Please respond to "Foxboro

                    DCS Mail List"

Re: I will be able to make the choice of a Windoze based system that has
logged a few hours running process facilities as opposed to helping
Invensys
with development.

Without trying to address all of the issues being covered by this thread -
most of which are way beyond my purview, I must comment on this one
sentence. It seems to imply that we have no experience with MS Windows in
the Process Control market.

My points are:

*          Foxboro/Invensys has been shipping I/A Series systems with
Microsoft
Windows based WPs and AWs for as long or longer than any of our competitors
and
*          All of our Microsoft Windows based stations are as capable of
running a big plant as the corresponding Solaris system.

With regard to the first bullet, I'm pretty sure that our 70-Series
pre-dates Honeywell's GUS on Intel platforms and may be even on the PowerPC
platform. I know it pre-dates Delta-V by several years.

In any case, while there are differences in the offered OSs and their
capabilities, please bear in mind that different companies feel differently
about operating systems and we believe that you should have a choice.

One last item, I'd like to remind you of two of our guiding principles. We
are committed:

*          To sell our customers what they want and
*          To support our products as long as they are needed by our
customers.

Thanks for your time. I appreciate the open and honest feedback from you
folks. After all, you feed my family.

Regards,

Alex Johnson
10707 Haddington