Florian Klaempfl wrote:

I'am a poor delphi programmer, didn't use it for years, but I bet with any
python programmer that I create any application faster than him :)

You must be a damn fast typer then :)

Ironically python is perhaps the
most popular language on Linux and most of its syntax is derived from
object pascal whereas pascal

Well, I wonder which languages the kernel, X windows, GNOME, KDE, OpenOffice,
Mozilla etc. use ;), definitively not python ... Python is a usuable scripting
language but nothing more.

I agree but nevertheless it has become popular for desktop applications. Ubuntu and Fedora now uses it exclusively for filling in the blanks in their gnome desktops.

on linux is virtually non-existant.

The problem with pascal on linux was/is that there was no good compiler in the
90s for linux so a lot developers got lost.

Gnu pascal?

1) Forward declarations - they sux! Why should the developers have the
burden of making the code totally sequential declaration wise. All other
modern compilers dont need this.

C++ is still the number one language and it requires it.

yes but that aint modern! C# and python do not.

Sure your code might take a bit longer
to compile but thats peanuts compare to the time saved in extra typing
and reordering your code

Did you ever work in a team? Then you know why ordering declarations is a good
practice because reading non sequential declarations is hard.

Yes i have worked in small teams and that was never an issue. Of course crazy ordering is harmful but any reasonable ordering is readable.

2) I have touched on manual memory managaement of tobjects before so I
wont rehash it here (in summary ref count tobjects and they should have
good performance with c++ style exception handling).

Good performance like python ;)?

If that were the case then yeah it would sux (however pythons performance is due to bien a bytecode interpreter and dynamic typing neither of which we need in pascal).

jamie.