I don't even care, because I simply don't understand what "time" as in "timer" has to do with "graphics" as in "graphical". For me that's two completely different subjects unless we're talking about animations where those two subjects meet.
Viewing from top you are right, and I do need a platform independent implementation along theses lines.

But (at least in Delphi) TTimer and GUI events are implemented using system messages and a Windows-internal message scheduling API. FPC does not know about messages, here Lazarus gets involved, as the LCL supplies the TApplication class that is able to fire events when a message arrives.

So what I suggest is implementing a platform independent TApplication class that can handle messages and implement TTimer and TThread.synchronize and other Delphi stuff on top of this, without using GUI related system APIs, but using a System 5 Message queue in Linux.

-Michael