Your code can perfectly be implemented as an add-on unit, which we can
distribute.
The first goal I see is that FPC comes with portable support for TTimer and Delphi/Lazarus compatible thread support, that can be used in a GUI-less Application - thus without Lazarus. If that's possible with an add-on unit: fine, but if that needs some support in the RTL (as we need Application.Run, Application.ProcessMessages and maybe a ways to separate the "Application Source" from the user code) , it should go there.

I suppose we'll think about if and how to implement something like TSchedThread once the first step is done and verified.

-Michael