Op Thu, 28 Feb 2008, schreef Jonas Maebe:

On 28 Feb 2008, at 08:19, Daniël Mantione wrote:

As long as the compiler is consistent between platforms, it is okay. Differences between little/big endian are acceptable because this is the only situation where we require the coder to manually intervene and write two code paths (usually a simple endian conversion). We don't force the coder to make different code paths between i.e. Linux/Windows, nor should we.

It's not about Linux vs. Windows, it's about FPC 2.2.0 vs FPC 3.4.0, coupled with the fact that bitpacked records as currently defined are not usable for defining a specific layout.

It compeletely normal that a record written by a a program written in FPC 2.2 can be read be FPC 3.4. If you design a feature, after a grace time, it should be kept backward compatible. I haven't heard the argument why bitpacked records should be exempt from this.

Daniël