Zitat von Florian Klaempfl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Mattias Gaertner schrieb:
> > You can optimize for one encoding or optimize for one per platform. I
> > know how to optimize for widestrings, for ansistring and for UTF-8
> > strings, but I have no experience in optimizing for multiple
> > encodings.
>
> Don't forget that the ansistring type is actually multiple encodings and
> even multi byte (even not considering UTF-8). The point is: nobody took
> care of it.

Yes, they did. They ran their programs only on systems with ansi encoded strings
or simply passed the strings unchanged.
That's why the lazarus solution even work with broken UTF-8 strings.
But now a lot of implicit conversions will be added so all strings must have
valid encodings. You can no longer pass unknown encoded strings through the
functions.

Mattias