On Tue, 4 May 2010, Florian Klaempfl wrote:

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
On 4 May 2010 16:04, Michael Van Canneyt <mich...@freepascal.org> wrote:
We offer a .tar.gz for download, so what is the problem ?
No-one is forced to use rpm or .deb files ?

I don't have a problem, but it sounded like Florian has (or I
misunderstood him). From what I understood, he stated that deployment
is easier under Windows

It is *part* of the problem yes. Just look at the lib64/lib mess or
finding the right gcc on linux.

and able to run on older Windows without
problems. I simply stated that Linux deployment is easy too, if you
use .tar.gz with pre-build binaries inside

See below.

(including running newer
binaries on older systems - non-gui or fpGUI based of course).

fpGUI probably depends as well as the fp text mode ide on glibc etc. so
running on older systems is pure luck.

This is correct. I did some tests for this when still running SuSE.
Only binaries that do not depend on LibC will run on old linux distros.