Brad Campbell schreef:
Jonas Maebe wrote:
On 04 May 2010, at 19:40, Vincent Snijders wrote:

I don't know where to add this exactly in this thread, but the win64 version of Lazarus includes a native win64 version of the compiler. It is done because I think that to make sure it can compile Lazarus correctly, it has to be able to compile itself correct and create a running executable.

Why do you think that a cross-compiler would not be able to create a runnable lazarus or compiler executable? (I'm not sure what the "itself" refers to in the above sentence)

The compiler.

And in case you mean the
compiler: under which circumstances does lazarus try to recompile the fpc source tree? (its makefiles or "build lazarus" commands at least don't do that, afaik)

When creating win64 installer (release or snapshot) including compiler.

I know I harp on this repeatedly, but I use linux-i386 to build applications (and lazarus itself) for i386-linux / i386-win32 / i386-darwin / powerpc-darwin. If you are getting broken executables then your toolchain is broken.

Yes, but you only find out when running it. Now if you use a native win64 compiler on win64, then you actually use a fpc generated win64 binary when creating a lazarus binary, so the chances that you generate a broken binary is less. This is certainly the case for snapshots with daily changing binaries, and I try to keep the release and snapshot building as closely similar as possible, so that snapshot builds can be as previews for release builds

> Freepascal and Lazarus are both very capable
of working in a cross compile environment.

Agreed.

Vincent