On 04/10/2010 10:56, Sven Barth wrote:
So I personally would prefer *.ppl (for Pascal Package Library) on every platform supporting packages.

Scenario - I'm using <someother> Pascal compiler (GNU/Delphi/Virtual/etc) so I can use the PPL's from Free Pascal with them? After all, they *are* "Pascal Package Library" files?!

No matter how infrequently, this *will* happen at some point. I'd say, pick another more descriptive extension now, save "your - [collective] - selves" reiterating the same disclaimer every time someone asks this question. The assumption that "Free Pascal" is the only "Pascal" that will ever exist in a usable form going forward is probably subjective, but it's not a reliable constant.