On Fri, 3 Dec 2010, Thaddy wrote:

Sorry if this is already picked up as it IMHO should have been. I missed some mails due to a server crash.

Today I encountered a similar issue with using threadvars for the input, output and err variables in system when trying to use the input as a win32 sync handle with the CreateFile API. Fails miserably. This is specified in the windows API documentation, but is broken in FPC because the IO are not global to a process but threadvar.

Would you care to explain this ?

The variables Input, Output and StdErr may be threadvars, but they share a single common OS handle. So any OS-specific functions should still work if you are using the handles.
No they do not, see my previous post, hence my problem. Mind the words "even if" in the win api doc cit. I may be * very * wrong, but it simply doesn't work as expected. Under Delphi it works as expected and in line with the API documentation. I am investigating Linux (Ubuntu and my own woof builds) to get a similar example working without workarounds.