Am 03.12.2010 13:22, schrieb Thaddy:
Sorry if this is already picked up as it IMHO should have been. I missed
some mails due to a server crash.

Today I encountered a similar issue with using threadvars for the input,
output and err variables in system when trying to use the input as a
win32 sync handle with the CreateFile API. Fails miserably.
This is specified in the windows API documentation, but is broken in FPC
because the IO are not global to a process but threadvar.

This is a mistake! (without due explanation, not from the point of FPC
developers, but from the point of view of OS development

Checkout for example:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363858%28VS.85%29.aspx

It becomes obvious, especially in the case of (the recommended)
overlapped IO for std streams that this is totally broken in FPC. Also,
as I stated before, for the same reason it breaks the Posix compliance.
AFAIK it also would break any GCC/C++ code for OS's that contain a Posix
subsystem and you would want to translate some code for.

I therefore ask again to change the Threadvars for console IO to vars.

It breaks not only what windows expects, but also what most nixes expect.

The only somewhat useful comments I have seen regarding to this in our
previous discussion are FPC specific! work-arounds.

Would you mind sharing some example Pascal code for what you're trying to do? Maybe you are just missing something (yes, I have read the other mails in this thread).