On 5/4/2011 02:41, LacaK wrote:

Then please move approprate code at least into TCustomBufDataset.SetFieldData
Thanks

This code was already there.

Should the 'Validate' code be moved there too ?

Yes. TDataset descendants are responsible to calling Validate, e.g., zeos call it inside TZAbstractRODataset.SetFieldData.
I agree, but I do not like idea, that SAME piece of code must be repeated in many descendants of TDataSet (TCustomBufDataSet, TParadox, TMemDataset, TFixedFormatDataSet, TDbf, TCustomSqliteDataset etc.)

If it was just adding the call before SetFieldData it would take less than 10min, but it's necessary to know where to put so does not break something.

So it would be good, if we can put 'validate code' into any new method? and call it once from descendants (be precise only from descendants, which are intended for use in FPC, because components which are also for Delphi must do it in Delphi compatible way and can not use this new method)

It's just to lines of code.

One of the reasons of letting descendants call it it's too improve granularity so Validate can be called in the middle of the routine, as is in zeos, instead to force the call before the TDataset routine.
Yes, but I think, that in many cases can be expected, that 'validate' will be called before any other action,

It's necessary to do some checks before calling it.

Luiz