On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Marco van de Voort <mar...@stack.nl> wrote:
>> Is this possible in UNIX? I can see that in Windows you can use the
>> trick to use W versions which are identical except for the string type
>> and drop Windows 9x support, but is this really possible for the UNIX
>> syscalls? They expect UTF-8 not UTF-16 which is what UnicodeString
>> uses.
>
> Afaik QT and many other higher level libs always use UTF-16. MSE does too.
> Might
> also be useful for the JVM port.

I think I wasn't clear enough. I wanted to say that I don't see how
you can have both a Ansi and a UTF-16 RTL in UNIXes with the same
codebase, without ifdefs. I think this is not possible and one of the
the same codebase regardless of the output version (ansi vs utf-16),
so without ifdefs.

> But it will be beneficial to everybody, and it is clear to everybody how
> something should behave, so there will be no endless bickering over details
> and workarounds like this thread. It is a structured approach.

Well, there is still uncertainty over the question brought up by
Graeme: Always UTF-16 or the unknown string type?

> BTW: I explained all this to you, including the not dropping legacy, over some
> Chinese food a few months ago. Don't you remember?

Yes, I remember, but the way you spoke about it, it sounded something
like a proposal, not 100% sure it would end up like this =) Now it is
really put as the way forward...

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho