On 15/09/2011 06:19, Martin Schreiber wrote:

> Agreed. And so it is made in MSEgui:

Yeah, and everything you said applies to fpGUI, except I use TfpgString,
TfpgChar  and  the UTF-8  encoding. Though  I  would prefer  having  the
native encoding  on each platform  - thus less conversions  and improved
performance.

> From my  point of  view there  is no need  for a  complicated encoding
> aware unicode string type which  possibly is slower, needs more memory
> and introduces new bugs.

There   shouldn't  be   anything  complicated   for  the   developer  or
enduser. UnicodeString  under  Linux  and  Mac should  be  UTF-8,  under
Windows it should be UTF-16. Everything else  is exactly the same as you
already do in your code.

As for your  comment on memory usage. UTF-8 on average  uses less memory
than UTF-16. There was a few studies  done - Google should find them for
you.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/