> > Graeme started working on it when CHM was already mostly
> > operational.
>
> "mostly operational" doesn't entrust a lot of confidence.

Compared to somebody saying he is resurrecting some old OS/2 technology, it
is a miracle of confidence.

> > ?Most of his original arguments were based on disk sizes and
> > little implementation gotchas, not on functionality. I still don't see the
> > point of inf.
>
> For the record, disk size (even though the size difference is huge)
> was largely a bonus feature.

No, at the time, you kept raving about it. Only when you started
implementing more features, your tune changed.

> The speed of INF was a major contributor
> (considering CHM is just an archive of very verbose HTML files).

And INF is just an archive or whatever markup it uses.

> Also the fact that any non-Microsoft CHM viewer absolutely sucks, and that
> all but one [lhelp] of those are written in C/C++ [thus I can't
> contribute] was another point to consider.  LHelp's output also looks
> terrible and is much slower than most CHM viewers.

Yes, but that was because other people decided to roll their own. And I
tried docview on windows and IMHO it was unusable.

> gave me full control: the programming language I know and love,
> something I can maintain, advanced searching [which is super fast],

All that was available for CHM too, PLUS the generation facilities.