Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
On 20/08/12 08:52, Sven Barth wrote:

Just to avoid confusion: The reference counted 2-byte string type on all
platforms is UnicodeString, not WideString (the latter is not reference
counted on Windows platforms).

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think WideString was reference counted an all platforms "in the beginning" - like Martin mentioned. Later it was changed, and the new UnicodeString become the "reference counted on all platforms" type.

So could somebody make a definitive statement: for basic two-byte Unicode handling, what types should be used?

I've got a couple of terminal emulators using WideChar and WideString for internal manipulation, what /should/ I be using? and where does it leave things like Sorokin's regex unit, which similarly use WideChar and WideString?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk