Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote on Mon, 20 Aug 2012:

So could somebody make a definitive statement: for basic two-byte Unicode handling, what types should be used?

unicodestring, because it is generally somewhat faster than widestring on Windows. On non-Windows platforms, widestring=unicodestring in any case.

I've got a couple of terminal emulators using WideChar and WideString for internal manipulation, what /should/ I be using? and where does it leave things like Sorokin's regex unit, which similarly use WideChar and WideString?

widechar = unicodechar on all platforms. On Windows, where widestring is not the same as unicodestring, one can be converted to the other without any dataloss. Again, you may get some minor speed penalty on Windows, but it's unlikely you'll notice it.

Jonas