In our previous episode, Leif Ekblad said:
> all characters with 2 bytes, but this is no longer the case. I would switch
> to UTF-8
> instead and keep characters 1 byte long. A switch to UTF-8 only affects a
> small amount of the code-base, and doesn't break string references.

Any solution will need a complete check. Since old code will probably store
multiple encodings in the "ansistring" type that must be checked. See e.g.
the work done on Zeos by Michael Hiergeist.

That goes both for the case that the default type is 1-byte and 2-byte.

So that is appearances only (ah, they are both onebyte, so not much will
change).

Any failure to do that will result in an infinite adding (and maintaining)
of ad hoc conversions.