On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 12:15 PM Tomas Hajny <xhaj...@hajny.biz> wrote:

> On 2020-06-08 11:39, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> > On Mon, 8 Jun 2020, Christo Crause via fpc-devel wrote:
>   .
>   .
> >> Thanks for your response Michael.  Using InOutFunc to also flush the
> >> output
> >> buffer will work, but that seems inefficient, since the flush needs to
> >> wait
> >> until the transmit buffer is empty (at slow UART speeds this could
> >> potentially take several ms to complete).   Is there a specific reason
> >> why
> >> the RTL Flush procedure does not call the FlushFunc method?
> >
> > I checked; That code is so old, no idea.
> >
> > From what I can see the flush code could be changed to
> >
> > if Assigned((TextRec(t).FlushFunc) then
> >   FileFunc(TextRec(t).FlushFunc)(TextRec(t))
> > else
> >   FileFunc(TextRec(t).InOutFunc)(TextRec(t));
> >
> > But keep in mind that the InoutFunc() is only called when actually
> > writing
> > data, meaning: when the internal text buffer is full or on a terminal
> > with
> > every writeln(), so I don't think it is inefficient. Writeln() will do
> > flush. Whether this happens in .InOutFunc or .FlushFunc is largely
> > irrelevant.
>
> The question is whether the potential change would make any difference.
> IMHO, the important points are:
>
> 1) The point of flushing is making sure the I/O is really performed (the
> data are sent to the operating system _and_ flushed from internal
> buffers of the underlying operating system / platform). Doing the latter
> without the former makes no sense.
>
> 2) From semantic point of view, all data should be sent to the final
> place (block device / console / ...) before the call to Flush is
> finished (otherwise the following actions may have incorrect results -
> the program might finish before all data are transmitted, other I/O may
> be invoked, etc.).
>
>  From this point of view, the proposed change would only lead to code
> duplication between FlushFunc and InOutFunc and / or to increased code -
> e.g. checking FlushFunc being nil before calling InOutFunc just to call
> InOutFunc (or to perform functionality currently included in InOutFunc)
> from within FlushFunc anyway.

Tomas and Michael, thank you for this discussion.  I'm starting to think
the use case I'm considering is perhaps not covered by the current design.
At the moment I directly call the OS flush function before putting the cpu
to sleep and that works; I was just wondering if there is a Pascal way to
accomplish this so that a user doesn't have to remember to call a
nonstandard function when a Flush function already exist in the RTL.