> Why Delphi has no problem supporting .Net without sacrificing backward
> compatibility (too much)?

There is a problem.

> If I'm not mistaken (CMIIW), during Borcon 2005, Borland demoed a Delphi 1
> application (the famous FishFact demo) that can be run on .Net by simply
> recompile it on BDS 2005. A similar demo is also presented when Borland
> launched Kylix, simply adding a few $ifdef for q-prefix and then
> recompile, the Delphi demo application can be running on Linux.

So a specially selected demo works. Interesting, but I make full apps, have
a certain amount of code that I use that I haven't written. (components)
etc.

In anything remotely portable, selected demoes work. That is the reason for
the reference to "hello world level". Simple, clean stuff always work.

But the barrier between native and .NET is about full codebases and the
associated components, not about demoes.

> I know writing FPC port for .Net is far from easy. But the difficulty should
> be on compiler code side only.

You can't. Borland also didn't solve this. They did a reasonable job for
clean code, but e.g. pointers are unportable.

Moreover, what you get is effectively a legacy codebase surviving on .NET,
and next week some guy will say "we really have to convert VCL.NET to
winforms", or "remove tlist/tstringlist, since they are slow in .NET and use
native container types" etc etc.