On 9/29/06, Adrian Maier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<not_serious_suggestion>
  By the way :  why dotnet and not java ?
</not_serious_suggestion>

Acctually I was considering (not so near in the future), to research
about writing a java byte code target for Free Pascal.

Of course the faq says you guys aren´t much pro it, but there do is a
real use for this, because some devices can only run java bytecode,
like many modern cell phones. I was even thinking it may be easier to
write a java port (j2me) to get Free Pascal running on Symbian OS,
then writing a native port, because there are so many incompatible
versions of this OS, but all of them support j2me.

There are GPLed assemblers for java bytecode out there, so we would
only need to write a instruction generator that generates that
assembler and port the rtl.

About .NET and LLVM, they don´t seam to add anything Free Pascal
already cannot do.

We should also think it may be inevitable to write a .NET port in the
very long future (10 years?), if microsoft decides to obsolete windows
api by that time.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho