> Francisco Reyes wrote:
> >
> > Do you know of any place, or sample code, that I can see how non
> > blocking sockets work?
> Francisco,
>
> The "bible" on this type of programming is Richard Steven's _Unix
> Network Programming_. I have both the old version of the book, as well
> as Volume 1 of the new and revised version.

Aren't there three versions already? The original had the later "Advanced
programming" volume as a mere chapter. In the second they are splitted, and
the third is fairly recent, and by another author (R. W Stevens unfortunately
passed away a few years back. A big loss for the programming books world)

Both Michael and I (the two of this did most of the dabbling in the
Linux/Unix RTLs) have "Advanced..." and it is hightly recommended.

I also have the sockets book (splitted rev, the 2nd is about IPC) and the
first volume of TCP/IP illustrated (which is also a good read)

Some of it is slightly outdated though, from before the newer threadmodels
and KSE/EPoll of FreeBSD/Linux. I'm not sure how much this changed in more
recent editions.

I picked up some of these fairly cheaply (they are normally Eur 40-50 ish,
but e.g. I got the TCP/IP illustrated and the first socket book for 5 each)
when the new editions emerged. It can be worthwhile to keep an eye out for
these in yard sales etc.