Am Freitag, den 07.12.2007, 11:28 +0100 schrieb Jonas Maebe:
> On 07 Dec 2007, at 07:43, Marc Santhoff wrote:
>
> > <output>
> > dbg: Description
> > testing, one, two ...
> > ? à
> > dbg:
> > </output>
> >
> > Using german umlauts the same happens, the string is empty. When
> > feeding
> > in plain ascii the output is okay, the string is actually filled.
>
> On which platform with which locale/codepage? If on *nix, are you
> using the cwstring unit?

I'm using FreeBSD with ISO8859-1 or 15 and do not use cwstring
explicitly.

But I think my error was to assume the strings given by objects from the
dom-unit are un-decoded UTF8. Now I think (haven't checked yet) that
decoding to the german system locale (ISO8859-1 or 15) is done already.
If I leave out the decoding completly it works - besides the missing
euro sign, but that has very low prority. Umlauts and 'ß' are okay.

Marc