Prince Riley writes:

Finally, give the advance from CGI based web apps to Web 2.0 (Javascript running in the browser) is there a design rational for running code on the server instead of in the web browser.

I think that is almost a religious war type of discussion...
Short answer (as it applies to me at least) If all I am doing is getting data from a DB and displaying it in the browser, there is little reason to do Javascript.
past few years. Zend (which is PHP, not Javascript) is also an alternative.

Personally my preference would be
1- Pascal
2- Python
3- PHP

PHP can do absolutely everything I need/want; the difference is that I want something which lends itself more easily to well organized and structured coding. Also When I work on php it always feels like work.. even if it something I am doing for fun. It is one of those subjective things... the reason why there are so many languages and tools out there. _______________________________________________