Joost

Reading the responses on this discussion thread, it appears the 'religious
war' you mentioned in your prior post was unavoidable.

Not to add any fuel to the warring opinions I'd like answer  a comment you
made in response to my response.

The recent push to make web applications (not simply web browsing) perform
more like desktop  applications has been the primary driver behind the Web
2.0 and the improved Javascript engines by Google and the Mozilla people.
They have their own commercial motivations for those improvements, the
primary driver has been the software application developers who want web
apps to perform like desktop ones.

While several traditional "desktop" application scenarios do still exists
that will likely always run directly on the O/S without a web client front
end, the direction of most major software application development efforts
I've witnessed in the past three years have all targeted migrating the
desktop GUI over to a web browser. Others in the discussion thread have
referenced several reasons for this shift already, but the trends continue
to follow the idea of pushing as much of the presentation and processing
layers onto the remote web browser.

Finally, respectfully I must disagree with your comments that the
applications deployment approach " is only true for small
applets used by a broad public. " ignores the TOC and other economies of
scale afforded by portable web applications. Scott Trade and TD Ameritrade
are just two of several examples where sophisticated trading desk and
customer centric web-based applications are running on 100,000s of web
browsers. Just a few years ago these same applications were shipped  to
clients and had to be installed and run on their desktop PCs.