Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
FPC often implements something that breaks existing code.
Examples :)?

Please note that I am not saying I disagree with the changes. I know
they were introduced for the better. What I am saying, is that changes
do get introduced into FPC (for whatever reason) and does sometimes
break existing code.

Example #1:
  You cannot pass a property as var parameter anymore. Introduced in
  v2.2.0

Example #2:
  Boolean type change in Xlib units. TBool(false) or TBool(true) type
  usage.

Example #3:
  ComponentState change. I wasn't allowed to use the following code
  anymore:  Include(ComponentState, csDesigning);

I think there was a few more that affected fpGUI Toolkit project, but I
think you get the idea. As long as code is being maintained, such
changes are not the end of the world. :-)  But my point is, they do happen!

Afaik 1 & 3 are the same?

And if I understand the changes where mad, because this "feature" was broken before: That is the syntax you mentioned lead to an unpredictable result, and the circumstances under which it did what you wanted could change outside your code and without the intend to make them change.

Or in other words: This only worked if a property directly read a variable, but not if it was a function result => meaning you had 2 different types of properties. But only one was documented.

Best Regards
Martin