Martin Friebe wrote:

> Afaik 1 & 3 are the same?

True.

> And if I understand the changes where mad, because this "feature" was
> broken before:

To quote myself, even though I know one shouldn't. ;-)

 "I know they were introduced for the better."

I was not arguing the point that those changes should not have been
made. I was simply stating that other projects code was broken due to
behaviour changes made in FPC. This was my counter argument to Vincent's
reply that it would break existing code.

If external projects are still being maintained, they should keep up
with the latest FPC. I do it with fpGUI, Martin does it with
MSEide+MSEgui and Lazarus does it, etc...

So I don't see a problem if FPC made $J- the default behaviour in FPC
mode delphi. At least FPC is then Delphi compatible - which is one of
FPC's goals I believe. And as Nino pointed out, even the old Delphi 5
doesn't allow writeable typed constants by default.

What should be the default behaviour in mode objfpc? Well that I am not
sure about.

Regards,
  - Graeme -